Cookies on the SND Electrical Website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the SND Electrical website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.

Electrical Enquiries 0121 236 5012

Lighting Enquiries 0121 236 6999

0 Items – £0.00 View Cart
Select Menu

Plug Socket Safety

Plug Socket Safety

Here at SnDelectrical we say that warnings are always included with electrical goods, but some don't get a second glance, whilst others pose serious potential dangers. A large percentage of the population would probably claim that they are aware of some of the basic safety precautions when it comes to electrical goods. However, when young children are brought into the equation these precautions become a lot more prominent, and it is much more important that they are enforced.

The Telegraph released an article that detailed how the safety features of a typical British 3-pin plug are being undermined by the use of plastic covers to protect children.  The article went on to detail the way in which the safety features already installed in the plug are enough to protect a child from inserting their fingers and getting a shock.

The report resulted in a variety of responses, and some experts offered their support for the campaign to rid the market of ‘plastic covers'. The discussion raised other topics of controversy around electrical safety and prompted us to write a brief summary about some of the common dangers of plug sockets. View our extensive range of plug sockets and switches here today!

Fingers

Inserting fingers into a plug socket is never advisable, but the British plug has a shutter in the top pin that must be opened in order to make the plug live. It is here that the potential problem lies. Children's fingers can be so small that they will reach far enough into the plug socket to activate the shutter, and if they have placed their other fingers in the two sockets below, a shock may take place.

Keys

Inserting a key into just one plug hole is not necessarily going to cause a reaction. However, if two are inserted this can create a circuit, therefore allowing the flow of electricity. Within the home, there will be a series of circuit breakers that will come into play should this happen.

Wet Objects

Water can conduct electricity when it isn't pure, as in the case of tap water or salt water. Salt water contains ions that allow for the exchange of electrons, and thus the conduction of electricity. Should a device become wet and then be entered into a plug socket, a sudden electric shock may be received, and the circuit breakers are likely to cut all electricity within the home.

Shaving Plugs

These plugs are placed specifically in bathrooms, primarily for the safety of the user whilst they operate a device in the damp and wet conditions of the bathroom. They use isolating transformers that will only supply a small amount of electricity to power a small device, so don't attempt to plug the TV in.

Switches and Sockets 

They can pose potential risks to health and safety, but with careful and proper installation these problems can be averted. With young children in and around the home, some of the above incidents can take place easily and result in severe injury. As ever, prevention is better than cure. For more information on quality lighting be sure to visit our website!