Cookies on the SND Electrical Website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the SND Electrical website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.

Electrical Enquiries 0121 236 5012

Lighting Enquiries 0121 236 6999

0 Items – £0.00 View Cart
Select Menu

Leaving The Society Of Fire Starter’s

Leaving The Society Of Fire Starter’s

One of the most common causes of accidental fires in commercial, industrial and domestic buildings is an electrical short circuit. Many of us are unaware that if we unknowingly purchase faulty switches & sockets and fail to test them, or if there is not a protective device to disconnect the bulbs from the initial main line in the case of an abnormal connection, then we might as well have a sign outside reading ‘fire starters'.

However, although there is never an ironclad guarantee against fire, we can significantly reduce the risks of it occurring.

Firstly, an electric circuit must always be fitted with a protective system; there are no two ways about it. This involves installing a fuse or a circuit breaker to ensure that if the current exceeds voltage guidelines then the protective system will disconnect the bulbs from the main line. This prevents the wires from carrying excessive current which can produce enough heat to cause a fire.

Secondly, the load should never exceed the safety limit. This can be prevented by making sure there is not an excessive amount of electrical devices on at one time and also by ensuring there are no faulty connections between wires.    

You must always validate that all switches & sockets, wires and protective devices are of the best quality. You should never purchase any of these from a market nor should you use a device which you are unsure looks safe, including exterior and interior damage or an obvious or subtle fault that could jeopardise the safety of the product.

Lastly, no live wires or switches & sockets with poor insulation should ever come in contact with any form of conducting material connected to the ground. This is because a poor insulator will transmit the transferred charge from a conductor rather than storing it like a good insulator would, which will most likely cause a spark.

By following these procedures, you can work towards maintaining a safe and secure working environment.